Edwin A. Treese
Direct Dial: 770.818.1293
Edwin A. Treese practices in the firm’s Complex Litigation and Government Liability sections, where he primarily represents private companies, churches, motor carriers, governmental entities, and their employees and officials in a broad range of litigation. He has experience defending a broad array of cases including civil rights/excessive force claims, premises liability claims, automobile/trucking claims, defamation claims, and allegations of corporate/organizational liability for an employee’s sexual misconduct. Mr. Treese represents hospitals, physicians and nurses in medical malpractice and licensing/credentialing issues.
Mr. Treese earned a B.A. from Emory University in 1994 and worked two years as a police dispatcher before spending a decade as a police officer and field training officer. He earned his J.D. from Georgia State University (cum laude, 2007) where he was a member of the Bleckley Inn of Court, Student Trial Lawyers Association, and won awards as a member of the Moot Court Board. He is certified as an instructor by the Georgia P.O.S.T. Council and frequently teaches at law enforcement agencies throughout the state.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Complex and Commercial Litigation
- Government Law
- Georgia Superior Courts and Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States District Courts, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- Emory University, B.A. Political Science 1994
- Georgia State University, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- "The Jury Did WHAT? The Recent Trend Towards Large Verdicts in Personal Injury Cases" (October 3, 2016)
- "Let’s Go to the Replay: Effective Use of Video Footage to Defend Constitutional Claims," with Kevin Stone (September 27, 2016)
- "Supreme Court of Georgia Eliminates Direct Appeals from Denials of Immunity at Motion to Dismiss Stage," (March 28, 2016)
- "11th Circuit: Exclusionary Rule is Inapplicable to Malicious Prosecution Claims," with Kevin Stone
- (March 8, 2016)
- "Can You Hear (or see) Me Now? No, and that May Constitute Spoliation," (February 24, 2016)
- "Should We Have Seen This Coming? Supreme Court of Georgia: Duty to Preserve is Triggered by Constructive Notice of Anticipated Litigation," (July 6, 2015)
- "Supreme Court defines equitable power of courts in approving transfer of firearms by convicted felons," with Charles Reed, Jr., (May 20, 2015)
- "Supreme Court grants qualified immunity to Police Officers in Encounter with Mentally Ill Woman, Declines to Address Whether ADA Applies to Arrests," with Charles Reed, Jr., (May 20, 2015)
- "Supreme Court to determine standard for constitutional excessive force claims by pretrial detainees," (May 18, 2015)
- "Knowing the Deponent Through Social Media," CLE Materials (October 2014)
- "Overview of the Georgia Open Records Act of 2012," CLE Materials (February 2012)
- "Who Committed this Crime, Anyway? Recent Trial Court Rulings Denying Apportionment of Fault to Criminals in the Context of Premises Liability / Negligent Security Cases," (November 2011)
- "The Dust Begins to Settle: Georgia Supreme Court Rules on Constitutionality of Three Provisions of 2005 Tort Reform Litigation," (March 2010)
- "Georgia’s Magistrate Courts – A Different Playing Field," (January 2010)
- "Excuses, Excuses: What Constitutes a Proper Case to Open Default After Bellsouth v. Future Communications?" (November 2008)
- Hiner Transport, Inc. v. Jeter, 293 Ga. App. 704 (2008)
- Hopkins v. DeVeaux, 781 F.Supp.2d 1283 (N.D. Ga. 2011)
- Morrow v. Angkawijana, LLC, 327 Ga. App. 1 (2014)
- "Avoiding Large Verdicts: Lessons Learned from Recent Awards," with Wayne Melnick (September 13, 2016)
- "How Sanctions Happen," Speaker (August, 2016)
- "Civil Rights and Mental Illness, Guest lecturer," Crisis Intervention Training law enforcement course sponsored by NAMI Georgia (July 27, 2016)
- "Skits & Suds: The Choice," Moderator of Ethics and Professionalism CLE presented by Georgia Defense Lawyers’ Association, (March, 2016)
- "Risk Management Issues Related to High Speed Pursuits and the Effect of Pursuing and Arresting Mentally Disabled Suspects," Moderator, Client Seminar (December 2015)
- "Investigating the Investigation: Going Beyond the Police Report," Client Seminar, 2012 and Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Deposition Boot Camp (2013 and 2014)
- "Civil Rights and Mental Illness portion of Crisis Intervention Training Program," Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department(December 4, 2014)
- "Civil Rights and Mental Illness portion of Crisis Intervention Training Program," Georgia Perimeter College Police Department(Dec. 11, 2014)
- "Managing Calls Involving Mental Illness, Emory University Police Department (Nov. 18, 2014)
- "Civil Litigation Workshop," American Board of Forensic Odonotology, (February 2012)
- Georgia Defense Lawyers’ Association: Education Subcommittee Member, 2009-present, Vice Chair, 2014-2016; Chair, 2016-present; Strategic Planning Committee Member, 2014-present
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Vice-Chair of Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2012-2013.
- Student Trial Lawyers Association, Georgia State University College of Law 2006-2007
- Moot Court Society, Georgia State University College of Law 2006-2007.
- Bleckley Inn of Court, Georgia State University College of Law 2006-2007.
- 1994-2006 Emory University Police Department
- 2006 Extern, Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia, Atlanta office
- 2006 Extern, Hon. Hugh Thompson, Supreme Court of Georgia
- 2007 Extern, Georgia Hospitals’ Association
- 2007-2013 Associate, Drew Eckl & Farnham, LLP
- 2013-2015 Associate, Allen, McCain & O’Mahony P.C.
- Alpha Phi Omega, Delta Kappa Chapter (Emory University)
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016