Paul H. Derrick
Direct Dial: 919.424.3850
Paul H. Derrick is a partner in the firm's Raleigh office. In nearly three decades of labor and employment practice, he has successfully defended employers throughout the country against individual, class, and collective actions raising a range of workplace and constitutional law issues, particularly in the agribusiness sector and retail and hospitality industry.
Mr. Derrick regularly provides preventive and strategic advice and litigates cases involving breaches of restrictive covenants, unfair competition and theft of trade secrets, discrimination of all types, retaliation, union organizing matters, wage and hour violations, employment-related torts, and more. He has substantial experience representing public entities, including local governments, fire departments, and law enforcement, in Section 1983 civil rights employment, excessive force, First Amendment, and related actions. Mr. Derrick also provides management training on union avoidance and most aspects of employment law.
Mr. Derrick is active in various national and state bar associations and business roundtable groups in the Carolinas and Tennessee, is a frequent speaker for several national seminar providers, and has been widely published and quoted on a variety of labor and employment topics. He has been selected for the past six years as one of The Best Lawyers in America and a North Carolina Super Lawyer, and he was named a Fellow in Litigation Counsel of America.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Commercial and Complex Litigation
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U. S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U. S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U. S. District Court District of South Carolina
- U. S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U. S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U. S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Newberry College, B.A.
- University of South Carolina School of Law
- “Social Media Information: Preserving It, Discovering It, and Getting It into Evidence,” The Voice (DRI) (2016)
- “A Few Tips About Tips,” At Your Service (N.C. Restaurant and Lodging Association) (2015)
- Quoted in “Your Job Just Got More Like Fight Club,” The Wall Street Journal (2014)
- “Employment Nightmares in the Retail Industry: What’s Keeping You Up at Night?,” The Retailer (N.C. Retail Merchants Association) (2014)
- Contributor: “You Ask, We Answer,” Midtown Magazine and Cary Magazine (monthly 2014-present)
- Co-author: “Secret’s Out. Trade Secrets Remain Important Component of Company IP,” IP Links (2013)
- “Be Careful When Enforcing Employment Agreements – The NLRB is Watching,” Success Magazine (2013)
- “EEOC's New Age Discrimination Regulations Appear to Miss the Mark,” The Defender; The Resource (N.C. Association of Defense Attorneys) (2012)
- Quoted in “EEOC Expands ‘Disabled’ Definition,” Inside Counsel Magazine (2011)
- Quoted in “Layoffs Lead to Grumbles, and They Beget Lawsuits,” Triangle Business Journal (2011)
- “The ADAAA Final Regulations Have Arrived; Were They Worth the Two-Year Wait?,” HR News Magazine (2011)
- “Labor Board Edges Toward Pro-Union Stance,” The Raleigh News and Observer (2010)
- "ADA Website Compliance: More Than Just a Good Idea," The Voice of the Defense Bar (2016)
- Powerlasers, Inc.
- New York Daily News
- Macy’s Retail Holdings
- The Cheesecake Factory
- CorVel Corporation
- BMW North America, LLC
- Hilton Hotels
- Smithfield Packing Co.
- Saffelle, Inc.
- Michelin North America
- Pinehurst Resort
- Duke University
- The Pantry, Inc.
- Crossroads Automotive Group
- Pinehurst Surgical Associates
- 919 Marketing Company
- Frontier Communications Corporation
- Jackson’s Farming Company of Autryville
- Scott Farms, Inc.
- Gutierrez Harvesting, LLC
- This End Up Furniture
- Seegars Fence Company
- Stone Forestry Services, Inc.
- YMCA of the Triangle
- Member, State Bars of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of North Carolina Chapter
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Raleigh-Wake Human Resource Managers Association
- Triangle Society for Human Resource Management
- Leadership Cary
- Derrick Law Group
- Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- King & Ballow
- National Relations Labor Board
- The Best Lawyers in America (Litigation – Labor and Employment; Employment Law – Management)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America