Cheryl H. Shaw is a Partner in the Atlanta office. She practices in the firm's Construction Law and General Liability practice groups. Ms. Shaw has represented clients on both a national and state level, including the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court.
Ms. Shaw’s construction law practice includes the representation of design professionals, contractors, owners, and other clients in all types of construction disputes, including professional malpractice, risk management, and breach of contract. She has represented clients in claims relating to negligent design, contract administration, and construction management in litigation, arbitration, and mediation proceedings. A significant part of her practice is also devoted to client consultation regarding professional service agreements.
Ms. Shaw's professional liability and commercial liability litigation practice includes defending Directors and Officers cases and also includes representing, in addition to architects and engineers, other professionals such as lawyers, real estate agents, and insurance professionals in Errors and Omission cases. She also has handled cases under the False Claims Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and RICO, in addition to breach of fiduciary duty claims and many other business law and partnership disputes.
Ms. Shaw's general and business liability practice includes all types of personal injury, property damage, tortious interference, and other liability claims. Her experience includes defending claims such as negligent security, transportation, sexual assault, slip and fall cases, and premises liability.
Ms. Shaw received her undergraduate degree from the University of Maine (B.A., cum laude), and her law degree from Suffolk University Law School (J.D., cum laude) where she was a member of the Moot Court Board.
Ms. Shaw has been recognized as a “Rising Star,” a designation honoring top lawyers in Georgia under the age of 40.
- Construction and Design Law
- Commercial Litigation
- General Liability
- Professional Liability
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 1999, cum laude, Moot Court Board
- University of Maine, B.A., 1996, cum laude
- Summary Judgment for Global Aerospace Company in Construction-Related Wrongful Death Case (2016)
- Summary Judgment for Building Inspector in Negligent Construction Case (2013)
- Case of First Impression Before Georgia Supreme Court re Tort Reform Act - McReynolds v. Krebs, 290 Ga. 850, 725 S.E.2d 584 (2012)
- Georgia Supreme Court Victory for Contractor in Negligent Construction Case - Rosenberg v. Falling Water, Inc., 302 Ga.App. 78, 690 S.E.2d 183 (2011)
- Defense Verdict for Landfill Owner in Bartow County Industrial Accident Case (2009)
- Georgia Supreme Court Victory for Insurer in Bad Faith Case - Trinity Outdoor, LLC v. Central Mutual Insurance Company, 285 Ga. 583, 679 S.E.2d 10 (2009)
- Summary Judgment for Defendant in Legal Malpractice Case (2009)
- Defense Verdict for Architect Following Three-Week Federal Court Trial (2006)
- Construction Law for Adjusters: Defenses to A&E Claims (2016)
- Construction Law for Adjusters: Using Experts in A&E Claims (2016)
- The 101 of the A201: Nuts & Bolts of the General Conditions (2015)
- Understanding and Allocating Negligence Damages (2014)
- Settlement Demands – Offer & Acceptance: Where are We Now? (2013)
- Strategies for Avoiding Professional Liability Claims (2007)
- Highlights of New Tort Reform Act & Their Impact on A&E Claims (2007)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- National Association of Women in Construction
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)