Theodore (“Ted”) Peters is a Partner in Freeman Mathis & Gary’s Hermosa Beach office. Mr. Peters is an AV® rated lawyer and serves as one of the firm’s trial attorneys with civil litigation expertise in state and federal courts. He has over 20 years of experience in handling and successfully resolving a wide range of disputes including the defense of personal injury/casualty, wrongful death, product liability, multi-party litigation, commercial law, trade secrets, unfair competition, securities and regulatory matters. Mr. Peters has extensive experience in handling complex insurance and financial disputes through mediation, trial/arbitration and appellate practice. As a former registered representative, Mr. Peters has a comprehensive understanding of the securities industry which he draws upon in his broker-dealer and registered representative defense practice. Mr. Peters has successfully defended numerous multi-million dollar state and federal court litigations.
Mr. Peters’ practice focuses on representation of insurance and securities institutions and their representatives in litigated matters before state and federal courts and arbitrations governed by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). His practice includes providing counsel to financial institutions facing regulatory inquiry by FINRA or the Securities Exchange Commission, general business litigation, insurance and intellectual property disputes. Mr. Peters has also provided counsel to domestic and foreign divisions of a large international entertainment group and its related film production and sales companies in trials and arbitrations nationwide and internationally, in both state court and before the Independent Film & Television Alliance.
- Professional Liability and Insurance Coverage
- Error and Omissions Insurance
- Commercial General Liability
- Securities Regulation
- Securities Litigation
- Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets
- Unfair Competition
- Complex and Multi-Party Litigation
- New York
- Northwestern School of Law, J.D.
- George Fox University, B.A.
- Umphrey v. Doll, 188 Or. App. 762, 72 P.3d 1010 ( Ore. 2003)
- Bak v. MCL Financial Group, 2006 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 4105 (Ca. Ct. App. 2006)
- Bak v. MCL Financial Group, 170 Cal. App. 4th 1118 (Ca. Ct. App. 2009)
- Dominick v. Collectors Universe, 2012 US Dist. LEXIS 141950 (CD Cal. 2012)
- Gerhardt v. Crowe, 118 So. 3d. 1006 (Fla. Ct. App. 2013)
- Chelsea Morgan v. Rappaport, 3 F. Supp. 3d 791 (CD Cal. 2014)
- Hartshorne v. MetLife (Cal. Ct. Appeal Case No. B279646) (2016)
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell – Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence, 2016