Ben Mathis is the Managing Partner of Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP and also is the partner in charge of the Labor and Employment Law section. His employment law and directors and officers representation is national in scope and he has been lead counsel in cases in over 45 states.
Mr. Mathis has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, named a Georgia "Super Lawyer" by Atlanta Magazine, a Georgia "Legal Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine, a Leading Labor and Employment Lawyer by Chambers USA, and a “Star Litigator” by Benchmark Litigation.
He was nominated by the Speaker of the United States House Of Representatives and was selected as a defense representative to the EEOC's first Rulemaking Advisory Committee in Washington, D.C. He also serves as Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia.
His wide ranging experience includes federal and state jury and bench trials, injunctive hearings, representation hearings, and appeals before a number of the federal courts of appeals (2d, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th circuits), as well as the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court.
Mr. Mathis received his undergraduate degree from the Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S., with honor) and his law degree from the Washington & Lee School of Law (J.D., cum laude), where he was a member of the Law Review.
Mr. Mathis has served in a variety of leadership positions in legal, business and civic groups. He has served as a member of the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees of the Georgia Tech Alumni Association, and has received the Outstanding Alumnus Volunteer Award. He has served as Chair of the Employment Law Committee of the Defense Research Institute and received the Committee's Dedicated Service Award. Mr. Mathis also serves as President-Elect and member of the Executive Committee of the Atlanta Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and has served as Vice-chair of the Civil Rights Committee of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. He also is a member of the Board of Directors of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, the Executive Cabinet of the United Way of Cobb and the Executive Committee, and Board of Directors and Chairman's Club of the Cobb Chamber of Commerce.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Directors and Officers Liability
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude
Washington and Lee Law Review, Member
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., with honors
- Editor-In-Chief: Personnel Law Desk Manual, Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Editor: Employment Law for Georgia Employers, Business Council of Georgia
- Co-Editor: Labor Relations Law for Georgia Employers, Business Council of Georgia
- Co-Author: Eleventh Circuit Survey: "Labor Law", 45 Mercer Law Review 1332
- Co-Author: Eleventh Circuit Survey: "Trial Practice and Procedure", 43 Mercer Law Review 1237
- Author: Gissell Bargaining Orders: Circuit Courts Struggle To Limit NLRB Abuse, 40 Washington and Lee Law Review 1661
- Author: Arbitrators Authority And The Common Law Of The Shop, 40 Washington and Lee Law Review 790
- Author: Discipline And Discharge In Litigious Times, For The Defense
- Author: The EEOC's New ADA Guidance On Psychiatric Disabilities, DRI The Job Description
- Author: "Want to Avoid Juries - - Why Not Try Arbitration?," FMG LawLine
- Angela Harris, et al. v. Liberty Community Management, Inc., 702 F.3d 1298 (11th Cir. 2012)
- Jordan v. Randolf County School District, 2010 WL 1538314 (M.D. GA 2010)
- Broughton v. Douglas County Board of Elections, 690 SE 2d 141, 286 GA 523 (2010)
- Gomez v. United Forming, Inc., 2009 WL 3367165 (M.D. Fla. 2009)
- Ross v. Simu US, Inc., 322 Fed App. 864 (11th Cir. 2009)
- Hyde v. StoreLink Retail Group, Inc., 2009 WL 259392 (M.D. Fla. 2009)
- Howell v. Douglas County School District, 2009 WL 196084 (N.D. Ga. 2009)
- Kuritzky v. Emory University, 294 Ga App. 370 (2008)
- Whitner v. Emory University, 2008 WL 4224407 (N.D. Ga. 2008)
- Fitzgerald v. Asbury Automotive, 2008 WL 544744 (N.D. Ga. 2008)
- Adedutan v. Hospital Authority of Clarke County, 249 Fed. Appx. 151 (11th Cir. 2007)
- Little v. Cobb County, 2006 WL 839401 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Massengale v. Clayton County, 2006 WL 83429 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Nance v. Buffalo's Cafe, 2005 WW 2148548 (N.D. Ga. 2005)
- Tom James Co. v. Morgan, 41 Fed. App. 894, 136 Fed. App. 218 (2005)
- Dodd v. City of Gainesville, 601 S.E.2d 352 (Ga. App. 2004)
- Barger v. City of Cartersville, GA, 348 F.3d 1289 (11th Cir. 2003)
- Foster v. Swinney, 588 S.E.2d 307 (Ga. App. 2003)
- Prickett v. DeKalb County, 276 F.Supp.2d 1265 (N.D. Ga. 2003)
- In re Barger, 279 B.R. 900 (Bankr. N.D.Ga. 2002)
- Adler v. Wallace Computer Services, Inc., 202 F.R.D. 666 (N.D. Ga. 2001)
- Chesser v. Sparks, 248 F.3d 1117 (11th Cir. 2001)
- Anderson v. Burke County, 239 F.3d 1216 (11th Cir. 2001)
- Peridyne Technologies Solutions, LLC v. Matheson Fast Freight, Inc., 117 F.Supp.2d 1366 (N.D.Ga. 2000)
- Montero v. AGCO Corp., 192 F.3d 856 (9th Cir. 1999)
- Johnson v. AGCO Corp., 159 F.3d 1114 (8th Cir. 1998)
- Holbrook v. City of Alpharetta, 112 F.3d 1522 (11th Cir. 1997)
- Grottokau v. Skyclimber, Inc., 79 F.3d 70 (7th Cir. 1996)
- Kaylor v. Fannin Regional Hospital, 946 F. Supp. 988 (N.D. Ga. 1996)
- Drainer v. O'Donnell, 1995 WL 338700 (Del. Sup. Ct. 1995)
- Reich v. Chicago Title Ins. Co., 853 F. Supp. 1325 (D. Kan. 1994)
- Fitzgerald v. Alleghany Corp., 904 F. Supp. 223 (S.D. N.Y. 1995)
- AGCO Corp.
- Atlanta Opera, Inc.
- C.W. Matthews Contracting Company
- Cobb County, GA
- Cobb Marietta Water Authority
- Douglas County, GA
- Extended Stay Hotels, Inc.
- Fidelity National Financial, Inc.
- General Paper Goods, Inc.
- Mainfreight, Inc
- OCI Chemical Corporation
- Payments MD
- Reinhardt University
- Roman Medical Group
- Sapheon, Inc.
- Servidyne, Inc.
- TBI Airport Management, Inc.
- U.S. Lumber, Inc.
- USAgain, Inc.
- Tensar Corp.
- Traton Homes
- Walton Communities, LLC
- Worthing Companies
Approved EPLI/D&O Counsel
- Ace USA/Ace Westchester Specialty
- Allied World Assurance Company
- All Risk Claims Services, Inc.
- ARGO Group U.S.
- Axis U.S. Insurance
- Association of County Commissioners of Georgia
- Beazley Group
- Everest Specialty Underwriters
- Freedom Specialty Underwriters
- Georgia Automobile Dealers Association
- Great American Insurance Group
- Monitor Liability Managers, Inc.
- OneBeacon Professional Partners
- Professional Claims Managers (U.S. Risk)
- RSUI Group, Inc.
- SAFECO Insurance Company of America
- Scottsdale Insurance Company
- Summit Risk Services, Inc.
- Swiss Re Insurance
- Travelers Insurance/Travelers Bond
- Trident Insurance Services (Argonaut Group)
- United States Liability Insurance
- Zurich American Insurance Company
- Professional Lines Attorney Network, "Cyberliability and Social Media", New York City, Hartford, CT
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, "Preparing the Senior Executive For Testimony", LaMalbaie, Canada
- DRI, "Differences Between Private and Public Employees", Scottsdale, Arizona
- IMLA, "Conducting An EEO Audit", Washington, D.C.
- Employer Liability For Supervisor Acts - Analysis of Supreme Court Decisions, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Georgia Society of CPAs, "Recent Developments in Employment Law"
- United States Senate Labor Committee Staff, "Implications of ENDA", Washington, D.C.
- Apex National Panel Counsel, "Recent Developments in Sexual Harassment", Traverse City, Michigan
- Counsel on Education in Management, "How to Conduct Investigations Without Invading Employee Privacy"
- Defense Research Institute, "Thanks For The Memories:"Age Discrimination Developments, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Lorman Education Services, "The Role Of Human Resources In Today's Workplace"
- Defense Research Institute, "The Rights Of The Accused In Sexual Harassment Cases", New York, NY
- Fidelity National Financial Human Resource Seminar, "Technology And The Workforce -- Emerging Issues on the Employment Horizon", Orlando, Florida, Los Angeles, California
- Extended Stay Hotels Management Annual Meeting, "Sexual Harassment Mock Trial", San Francisco, California
- Georgia Nursing Home Association, "Sexual Harassment In The Workplace", Jacksonville, Florida
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Southeast Human Resource Conference, "Discipline and Discharge in Litigious Times"
- Travelers National Counsel "Employment Law Update", San Antonio, Texas
- Member, State Bar of Georgia and District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association (Member, Sections on Labor and Employment Law Litigation; Sub-Committee on NLRA Practice and Procedure)
- Cobb County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Chairman's Club, Outstanding Board Member Award
- Defense Research Institute, Chair, Employment Law Committee, Dedicated Service Award
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Defense Representative, Rulemaking Advisory Committee, Washington D.C.
- Federal Bar Association, Atlanta Chapter, Vice-President, Executive Committee
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Vice-Chair, Employment Section and Civil Rights Section
- Georgia Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Georgia Tech Alumni Association, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, Outstanding Volunteer Award
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- United Way, Cobb Executive Cabinet