Amy Combs Bender
Direct Dial: 770.818.1421
Amy Combs Bender is Of Counsel in the Labor & Employment Law and Data Security, Privacy, & Cyber Liability practice sections of Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP. Ms. Bender received her Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, with a Minor in Business Administration, from the University of Florida. She received her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Georgia School of Law, where she was an Articles Editor for the Georgia Law Review. Ms. Bender is licensed to practice in both Georgia and Florida.
Ms. Bender’s practice in labor and employment law includes representation of private and public employers in federal and state litigation and administrative proceedings, including defense of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, and family and medical leave claims. She also frequently defends clients in garnishment actions and unemployment benefits proceedings. In addition, Ms. Bender regularly advises clients on day-to-day personnel issues and prepares and reviews employee handbooks, employment contracts, restrictive covenants, and severance agreements. She frequently presents on employment law issues to human resources organizations.
Ms. Bender also represents clients in emerging data and cyber liability issues, including advising on and assisting clients with the investigation of data breaches and related notification and compliance obligations.
Ms. Bender represents clients in industries including manufacturing, distribution, healthcare, construction, service, hospitality, education, transportation, logistics, food and beverage, non-profit, and insurance, as well as numerous local government bodies. She has been selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” as published by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Labor and Employment
- Data Security, Privacy, and Cyber Liability
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- University of Georgia School of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude
Georgia Law Review, Articles Editor
- University of Florida
B.S. Psychology, cum laude
Minor: Business Administration
- “Misclassifying Employees as Independent Contractors Is High on Agenda;” DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar – The Voice (September 2010)
- “EEOC Issues Long-Awaited Proposed ADAAA Regulations;” DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar – The Voice (December 2009)
- “Genetic Information: A New Protected Category;” DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar – The Job Description (October 2008)
- Dees v. Office Management Systems, Inc., 2012 WL 640695 (N.D. Miss. Feb. 27, 2012).
- Gomez v. United Forming, Inc., 2009 WL 3367165 (M.D. Fla. Oct. 15, 2009).
- Grizzle v. Macon County, Ga., 2009 WL 2611319 (M.D. Ga. Aug. 20, 2009).
- Bolden v. United Forming, Inc., 2009 WL 2423176 (M.D. Fla. Aug. 4, 2009).
- Reeves v. Yeager, 298 Fed. Appx. 878, 2008 WL 4772096 (11th Cir. Oct. 31, 2008).
- Little v. Cobb County, 203 Fed. Appx. 993, 2006 WL 3102457 (11th Cir. Oct. 31, 2006).
- Benefit Support, Inc. v. Hall County, Georgia, 281 Ga. App. 825, 637 S.E.2d 763 (2006).
- The Outsourcing Partnership, LLC v. Vinson, 2006 WL 2298114 (N.D. Ga. Aug. 8, 2006).
- Massengale v. Hill, 2006 WL 83429 (N.D. Ga. Jan. 10, 2006).
- Hurley v. Racetrac Petroleum, Inc., 146 Fed. Appx. 365, 2005 WL 2007034 (11th Cir. Aug. 22, 2005).
- Nance v. Buffalo's Cafe of Griffin, Inc., 2005 WL 2148548 (N.D. Ga. Mar. 30, 2005).
- “DOL’s Proposed Changes to FLSA Overtime Regulations;” Greater Pensacola, Florida SHRM Meeting (January 2016)
- “DOL’s Proposed Changes to FLSA Overtime Regulations;” Pensacola, Florida Chamber of Commerce HR Roundtable (September 2015)
- “Dos and Don’ts of Investigating Employee Complaints;” Greater Pensacola, Florida SHRM Legal Conference (May 2014)
- "Dos and Don'ts of Investigating Employee Complaints;" Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce Employment Law Seminar (September 2011)
- "Understanding and Appreciating Diversity in the Workplace;" Newton County, Georgia (October-November 2008)
- "Putting It In Writing - Important Employment Documents;" Legal Advisory, Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP (May 2007)
- "Advanced Employee Discharge and Documentation;" Lorman Education Services (August 2006)
- "Avoiding The FMLA's Landmines: Top 10 FMLA Traps And How To Avoid Them;" Lorman Education Services (June 2006)
- "Family and Medical Leave Act;" Lorman Education Services (April 2006)
- "Employment Law from A to Z in Georgia;" Lorman Education Services (July 2005)
- "Public Sector Employment Law Update;" Council on Education in Management (April 2005)
- "Discipline and Discharge;" Lorman Education Services (January 2005)
- "Employment Related Records;" Lorman Education Services (December 2004)
- "Georgia Employment Law From A to Z;" Lorman Education Services (July 2004)
- "Human Resources Audits in Georgia;" Lorman Education Services (May 2004)
- State Bar of Georgia, Section on Labor and Employment
- Escambia/Santa Rosa, Florida Bar Association
Ms. Bender has been selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers "Rising Star" as published by Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine.