Joyce M. Mocek
Direct Dial: 770.818.1296
Joyce M. Mocek is a Partner and practices in the Labor and Employment and Business Liability and Insurance practice groups at Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP. Her areas of expertise focus on advising and representing major employers, insurers, financial institutions, and health care providers in and out of the courtroom, with particular strengths in strategic planning and early case resolution. She assists clients on a national, regional, and local basis in resolving labor and employment related issues, including employment discrimination claims, wage and hour claims, family and medical leave claims and violations of covenants. Her practice also involves complex commercial litigation, particularly in the areas of finance (including FINRA disputes), banking, and other contract related disputes.
Ms. Mocek's experience includes representing organizations in various claims and bad faith lawsuits involving directors and officers, employment practices liability, errors and omissions, comprehensive general liability, and excess insurance policies. She assists clients with their daily issues and company policies, as well as in the courtroom, presenting evidence and arguments to all levels of state and federal tribunals and administrative agencies. Ms. Mocek produces optimal results for clients seeking to avoid lawsuits or for clients who want to pursue their rights through litigation.
Ms. Mocek has served in a variety of leadership positions within the legal and business community. She is an officer of the board of the Atlanta Chapter of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) and served as the liaison with the insurance commissioner's office for the organization for several years. She has also served on the board for Georgia Association of Women Lawyers and was a past president for the Atlanta Chapter. Ms. Mocek also co-chaired the Women in the Profession Committee of the Atlanta Bar Association.
Ms. Mocek has lectured to employer groups and conducted client training throughout the southeast. She has authored numerous articles on topics pertaining to employment and insurance law matters, and is a co-author for the coverage corner section of the Atlanta Chapter CPCU quarterly publications.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Business Liability and Insurance Coverage
- Georgia State, Appellate and Supreme Court(s)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Maryland State, Appellate and Supreme Court(s)
- New Jersey State and Federal Court(s)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, Juris Doctor, with distinctions
- University of Maryland, Business School
Bachelor of Science, Finance, with honors
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, with honors
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
- "Lawful Social Media Policies," The Generator, a publication of the Georgia Automobile Dealers Association
- "Coverage Issues Arising Out of Love Gone Awry," CPCU Publication
- "Misrepresentations on Signed Applications, What is the Impact," CPCU Publication
- "Georgia Redefines Law on Restrictive Covenants, Confidentiality and Non-Solicitation Provisions," Employment Applications
- "Broadening the Scope of Non-Solicitation Covenants-"Look Back" Requirement Not Necessary," Employment Applications
- "Director's and Officer's Liability Insurance Policies: Allocation and Advancement," Legal Trends, a publication of the Daily Report
- "The Battered Door: Personal Injury Coverage for Environmental Claims," Coverage, a publication of the American Bar Association
- "U.S. Women's Soccer Team Seeks Pay Equity," FMG BlogLine (2016)
- "NLRB Focus on Employee Handbooks of Employers," FMG BLogLine (2015)
- "Employers May Have Duty to Inquire About Religious Accommodations Needed Regardless of Whether Requests are Made," FMG BlogLine (2015)
- "Employer's Duty to Monitor Fees of Retirement Plans," FMG BlogLine (2015)
- "Is There Coverage Where an Insurer Unilaterally Removes Property from a Policy Without the Policyholder's Consent?" FMG BlogLine (2015)
- Hartford Casualty Insurance Company v. John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods, Inc., et al, In the Superior Court of Cobb County, State of Georgia, Civil Action No.: 10-1-03068-18.
- Hathaway Development Company, Inc. v. American Empire Surplus Lines, Insurance Associates of Georgia and Leroy Conrad Murphy, Superior Court of Gwinnett County, Civil Action File No.: 06A-09664-01
- Thomas Earl Johnson v. Robert Half International Inc.; United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division; Civil Action File No. 1:03 CV 1496(WBH).
- Rita Hinesman, on behalf of herself and others similarly situated v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.; United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, Civil Action File No.: 1:08-CV-0779(RLV)(2008).
- Christopher Lee Potts v. Eddie Ray Johnston, Riverside Metal Products, and Riverside Steel, LLC, filed in the Superior Court of Walton County, State of Georgia, Civil Action Number: 09-3905-3. Companion Case- Progressive Preferred Ins. Company v. Christopher Lee Potts, Eddie Ray Johnson, Riverside Metal Products and Riverside Steel, filed in the Superior Court of Walton County, State of Georgia, Civil Action Number: 10-0867-2.
- Petroleum Realty V, LLC v. Zurich American Ins. Company, United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta, Division, Civil Action No.: 1:08-CV-2301-CAP, and 1:09-CV-2213-CAP.
- Claude Rowe v. Robert Half International Inc. and Accountemps; United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division; Civil Action File No. 1:04 CV 1209(CAP).
- Lee Secrest and Shari Stanford, on behalf of themselves and others similarly situated v. AON Consulting, Inc.; United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division; Civil Action No.: 1:01-CV-464-CAP.
- Daniel Smith and Lila Smith v. Sallie Mae, Inc., Educap, and Firstmark Services, LLC, Superior Court of Effingham County; Civil Action No. SU07CV346T.
- Southwest Georgia Financial Corporation and Empire Financial Services, Inc. v. Colonial American Casualty and Surety Company, United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, Valdosta Division, Civil Action File No.: 7:08cv55
- Vista India v. Raaga, Inc., United States District Court, District of New Jersey, Civil Action No.: 07-1262 (HAA).
- Citigroup Global Markets, Inc. v. Curtis M. Lockey; United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division; Case No. 305cv0467-h.
- In the Matter of the Arbitration between Claimant Citigroup Global Markets, Inc. and Respondent Raymond N. Cornelius; New York Stock Exchange Docket No. 2004 015065.
- Zurich Insurance Company
- Colonial American Casualty and Surety Company
- Safety National Casualty Corporation
- Penn American Insurance Company
- First Specialty Insurance
- Georgia Transmission Corporation
- Regency Hospital
- Medac, Inc
- Citigroup Global
- Presentation entitled "A Look at Employment Law" at the State Bar of Georgia, Younger Lawyers Section Seminar, and Atlanta Women in Business Meeting(s)
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Atlanta Chapter
- Insurance Professionals of Atlanta
- Southern Loss Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, "Women In The Law", 2016