Mary Anne Ackourey
Direct Dial: 770.818.1407
Mary Anne Ackourey is a partner with the firm, and she has represented public and private employers in labor and employment law cases on a national basis, including federal jury trial and appellate matters throughout the country. Ms. Ackourey also has extensive experience in employment and student issues unique to public and private educational institutions; including terminations, student discipline and expulsion, harassment, constitutional protections, and accommodation/special education issues.
Ms. Ackourey has been recognized as a Leading Labor and Employment Lawyer by Chambers USA and as a "Rising Super Lawyer" on multiple occasions by Atlanta Magazine. She has served on the Executive Committee of the Employment Law Committee of the Defense Research Institute and was Editor in Chief of the DRI's Electronic Employment law treatise.
Ms. Ackourey received her undergraduate degree from Duke University (B.A., cum laude) and her law degree from Emory University (J.D.). She was Candidacy Editor of Emory's Bankruptcy Developments Journal. Ms. Ackourey is admitted to practice in Georgia and Florida.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Emory University School of Law
- Juris Doctor (1994)
- Member and Candidacy Editor, Emory Bankruptcy Journal
- Duke University
- B.A., cum laude (1991)
- "Lawful Social Media Policies," The Generator, a publication of the Georgia Automobile Dealers Association
- Editor-In-Chief: Employment Law E-Desk Reference, Defense Research Institute
- "Must Have" Policies For Your Law Firm's Employee Handbook," Association of Legal Administrators, Atlanta Chapter, Publication
- "Establishing a Disciplinary Program and Terminating Law Firm Employees", Association of Legal Administrators, Atlanta Chapter, Publication
- "Establishing An Effective Evaluation Program for Your Law Firm," Association of Legal Administrators, Atlanta Chapter, Publication
- "Workplace Safety Issues In The New Era", For the Defense, The Defense Research Institute
- "Who is Still Disabled Under The Americans with Disabilities Act?" The Job Description, The Defense Research Institute
- "Infertility Issues In the Workplace," The Job Description, The Defense Research, Institute
- "The EEOC's Guidance on Employer Liability For Supervisor Harassment," The Job Description, The Defense Research Institute
- Gomez v. United Forming, Inc., 2009 WL 3367165 (M.D.Fla. 2009)
- Grizzle v. Macon County, 2009 WL 2611319 (M.D.Ga. 2009)
- Bolden v. United Forming, Inc., 2009 WL 2423176 (M.D.Fla. 2009)
- Jordan v. Randolph County Schools, 2009 WL 2391267 (M.D.Ga. 2009)
- United Forming, Inc. v. Florida Unemployment Appeal Com'n, 10 So.3d 691 (2009)
- Kuritzky v. Emory University, 294 Ga.App. 370 (2008)
- Whitner v. Emory University, 2008 WL 4224407 (N.D.Ga. 2008)
- Echols v. Home Depot U.S.A., Inc. 208 Fed.Appx. 747 (11th Cir. 2006)
- Bethel v. Porterfield, 293 F.Supp.2d 1307 (S.D.Ga. 2003)
- Adler v. Wallace Computer Services, Inc., 202 F.R.D. 666 (N.D.Ga. 2001)
- Montero v. AGCO Corp., 192 F.3d 856 (9th Cir. 1999)
- Johnson v. AGCO Corp., 159 F.3d 1114 (8th Cir. 1998)
- AGCO Corporation
- Archstone Smith
- CW Matthews Contracting Company
- Douglas County, GA
- Douglas County School District
- Facet Technologies
- Logista (Office Management Solutions, Inc.)
- Matria Healthcare
- Mercer University
- Rockdale County School District
- Staffmark (CBS Holdings, Inc.)
- United Forming, Inc.
- Alliant Health Solutions
- Trinity Lifestyles Management
- JEM Restaurant Group
Approved EPLI/D&O Counsel
- Ace USA/Ace Westchester Specialty
- Allied World National Insurance/Darwin
- All Risk Claims Services, Inc.
- Association of County Commissioners of Georgia
- Freedom Specialty Insurance
- Georgia Automobile Dealers Association
- Georgia School Board Association
- Great American Insurance Group
- LSR Angel
- Lexington Insurance Company
- Markel Insurance
- Monitor Liability Managers, Inc.
- Navigators Pro
- Professional Claims Managers (U.S. Risk)
- RSUI Group, Inc.
- SAFECO Insurance Company of America
- Scottsdale Insurance Company
- Summit Risk Services, Inc.
- Swiss Re Insurance
- Travelers Insurance/Travelers Bond
- Trident Insurance Services (Argonaut Group)
- Zurich American Insurance Company
- Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce, Human Resource Management Association, "Avoiding Employment Risks"
- Southeast Human Resource Conference and Exhibition, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), “10 Most Common Mistakes in FLSA Compliance”
- HR Champions, 18th Annual SHRM-Atlanta Human Resource Conference, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), "Electronic Information in the Workplace: Do You Know What Is On Your Computer?"
- Defense Research Institute, Annual Meeting, "You're Not Just a Law Firm: Proactive Ways to Avoid Adding 'I Got Sued' to Your List of Accomplishments," Chicago, Illinois
- Southeast Human Resource Conference and Exhibition, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), "When A Big Bad Wolf Can Cost You A Million Dollars - Mock Sexual Harassment Trial"
- International Municipal Lawyers Association 70th Annual Conference, "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow: Conducting Internal Investigations and Subsequent Litigation," Savannah, Georgia
- National Business Institute, Preventing Employee Lawsuits Through Compliance With Georgia Human Resources Law, "Safeguard Against Sexual Harassment"
- Council On Education In Management, Moderator, How To Conduct A Public Sector Workplace Investigation
- Council On Education In Management, "Tips for Protecting Your Organization During Federal and State Audits and Investigations"
- Council On Education In Management, "Grasping the Complexities of New FLSA Overtime Regulations to Ensure Full Compliance: Who Qualifies as Exempt? (Deciphering the New DOL Final Rule Revisions)
- Council On Education In Management, "How To Investigate And Remedy A Sexual Harassment Or Discrimination Complaint: Taking The Appropriate Precautions When Investigating These Volatile Issues"
- Council On Education In Management, "Anatomy of a Discrimination Lawsuit from Both Sides: Plaintiff and Defense Attorneys Square Off on Employment Litigation Issues"
- Council On Education In Management, "Compiling Essential Documentation And Gathering Key Evidence To Support "Not Undermine" Your Investigation"
- Defense Research Institute, Annual Employment Law Conference, "The Nuts & Bolts of ADA and FMLA", Chicago, Illinois
- Southeast Human Resource Conference and Exhibition, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), "Stopping the Chronically Absent Employee: Controlling Absenteeism and Return to Work Under the FMLA and ADA"
- Southeast Human Resource Conference and Exhibition, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), "Tips for Successful Snooping on Employees", Atlanta, Georgia
- Association For Legal Administrators, Atlanta Chapter Speaker Series, "Top Ten Preventive Personnel Policies For Law Firms"
- Georgia Sheriffs' Association Command Staff Conference, "Handling Discipline and Discharge Issues for Public Employers," Macon, Georgia
- Southeast Human Resource Conference & Exposition, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), "Stopping the Chronically Absent Employee: Controlling Absenteeism and Return to Work Under the FMLA and the ADA", Atlanta, Georgia
- Georgia Nursing Home Association, Annual Conference, "Discipline, Discharge and Sexual Harassment in the Workplace", Jacksonville, Florida
- Lorman Education Services, "The Pain You Will Never Know: Return To Work and Termination Issues Under the ADA, FMLA, Worker's Compensation Laws", Atlanta, Georgia
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM - Athens Chapter), "Monitoring Employee Conduct and Investigating Employees' Backgrounds", Athens, Georgia
- Georgia Nursing Home Association, Annual Convention, "Investigating Complaints", Atlanta, Georgia
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, State Bar of Florida
- American Bar Association (Member, Section on Labor and Employment Law)
- Defense Research Institute, Employment Law Committee and Steering Committee
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Member, Georgia School Boards Association