Jack R. Hancock
Direct Dial: 404.335.7143
Jack R. Hancock has over 30 years experience in governmental and corporate liability, civil rights, employment, general litigation and real estate. He is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer who has represented all types of governmental and corporate entities. He has served as primary outside counsel for Clayton County for 20 years. Mr. Hancock has successfully argued several of the most significant decisions in the appellate courts involving liability of counties.
Mr. Hancock received his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia (B.B.A.) and his law degree from the University of Georgia (J.D.).
Mr. Hancock has served in a variety of leadership positions in legal, business and civic groups. He served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Clayton County Chamber of Commerce for seven years, serving as legal counsel for four years and chairman for two years. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the Regional Business Coalition. He is currently serving on the Board of Trustees of the Clayton State University Foundation.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Civil Rights
- Litigation & Appeals
- Local Government Liability
- Zoning and Land Use
- Election Law
- Property Tax Litigation
- General Representation of Cities and Counties
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- University of Georgia School of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Georgia, B.B.A
- Hall v. Freeman, Slip Copy, 2008 WL 3906835, C.A.11 (Ga.) (2008)
- Danielson v. DBM, Inc., Slip Copy, 2007 WL 1247206, N.D. Ga. (2007)
- Clayton County Bd. of Tax Assessors v. City of Atlanta, 286 Ga. App. 193, 648 S.E.2d 701 (2007)
- Hill v. Clayton County Bd. of Commissioners, 283 Ga. App. 15,640 S.E.2d 638 (2006)
- Jarallah v. Simmons, 191 Fed.Appx. 918 C.A.11 (Ga.) (2006)
- City of Atlanta v. Clayton County Bd. of Tax Commissioners, 271 Ga. App. 84, 608 S.E.2d 710 (2004)
- City of Riverdale v. Clayton County, 263 Ga. App. 672, 588 S.E.2d 845 (2003)
- City of Riverdale v. Clayton County, Georgia, 263 Ga. App. 672, 588 S.E.2d 845 (2003)
- Grech v. Clayton County, Ga., 300 F.3d 1299 (11th Cir. 2003)
- Thomas ex rel. Thomas, et. al. v. Roberts, et al., 323 F.3d 174 950 (11th Cir. Ga. 2003)
- Clayton County, et. al. v. Sexton, et al., 273 Ga. 150, 538 S.E.2d 737 (2000)
- Thomas, et. al. v. Clayton County Board of Education, et al., 94F. Supp. 1290 (N.D. Ga. 1999)
- Miller, et. al. v. Clayton County, et. al., 271 Ga. 135, 518 S.E.2d 402 (1999)
- Tamaroff v. Cowen, 270 Ga. 415, 511 S.E.2d 159 (1999)
- Clayton County, Georgia
- Clayton County Board of Tax Assessors
- Clayton County Board of Elections
- Fulton County, Georgia
- Augusta Richmond County Consolidated Government
- Douglas County Board of Tax Assessors
- CB Richard Ellis
- DBM, Inc.
- Tindall Corporation
- Nuts and Bolts of Local Government Law, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Liability of Georgia Counties for the Acts of their Elected Officials: An Overview", March 11, 2010
- Speaker on federal court practice and procedure, county, city and school law, immunity issues, civil rights and constitutional law.
- Nuts and Bolts of Local Government Law, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Elected Officials and Local Government-Roles, Rights and Responsibilities", March 17, 2006.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Annual Update on Georgia Law Seminar, "Analysis of Local Governmental Immunities to State Law Claims", February 6-9, 2011
- State Bar of Georgia
- Clayton State University Foundation, Board of Trustees 2009
- Clayton County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2002-2008; Legal Counsel, 2003-2004; Legal Counsel and Chairman Elect, 2004-2005; Chairman 2005-2007
- Regional Business Coalition, Board of Directors 2003-present
- Hancock, Dempsey & Everett, LLP, Founding Partner
- Smith, Shaw, Maddox, Davidson & Graham
- Blue Key
- Tau Kappa Epsilon