Sam Edgerton is a Partner with Freeman Mathis & Gary and is the co-chair of the firm’s securities practice group and financial lines. He has extensive litigation and regulatory expertise in broker–dealer matters which are primarily based in federal and state courts as well as FINRA arbitration.
From 1982 through 1986, Mr. Edgerton worked in the Office of Enforcement of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Los Angeles. From 1984 through 1986, he also served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney (Criminal Division). Mr. Edgerton also served as Mayor and City Councilman of Hermosa Beach for four terms, having been elected to the City Council by popular vote in 1991, 1995, 1999 and 2003. In 1996, Mr. Edgerton founded the law firm of Edgerton & Weaver, LLP, along with Chad Weaver, which merged with Freeman Mathis & Gary in 2017.
Mr. Edgerton is a member of the State Bars of California, New York, Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. He is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States of America.
- Civil Litigation
- Securities and Brokerage Defense
- FINRA and SEC Compliance
- Professional Liability Defense
- Directors and Officers
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Catholic University, J.D.
- Boston University, B.A., cum laude
- Florence Maggio v. Windward Capital Management Co., 80 Cal.App.4th 1210 (2000)
- National Mortgage Equity Corp. Mortgage Pool Cert. Sec. Litigation, 682 F. Supp. 1073 (U.S. Dist. 1987)
- California Super Lawyer Award, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell – Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence