Shaun Daugherty is a Partner in the Professional Liability and Insurance Coverage sections and practices in the Atlanta office of Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP. Mr. Daugherty's practice has a particular focus on complex medical litigation and medical malpractice defense, and he also has substantial trial experience with an array of commercial litigation and intellectual property disputes. Mr. Daugherty’s experience includes handling a broad range of professional liability and insurance coverage matters, including representing medical professionals before their respective licensing boards. His representation experience also includes counseling, advice, and invited speaking engagements on credentialing, retention and risk management.
Mr. Daugherty also practices in the area of intellectual property and has been an adjunct faculty member at John Marshall School of Law in Atlanta teaching Trademark and Unfair Competition Law. His practice has spanned from biomedical patent prosecution and litigation to trademark and copyright issues, or “soft IP.” His IP work now focuses on prosecuting trademark applications, defending infringement and advertising injury claims, and working with individuals and companies to police and protect their IP portfolios.
Mr. Daugherty attended Wright State University for two years before moving to Georgia and finishing his degree in biology at Georgia State University. After graduation, he moved back to Ohio where he served as a research biologist at Case Western Reserve University’s Medical School. Mr. Daugherty then attended the University of Dayton School of Law where he graduated magna cum laude. Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Daugherty returned to Atlanta where he began his career prosecuting and litigating patent claims before focusing his practice primarily in insurance defense.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Intellectual Property
- Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home & Allied Health
- Professional Liability and Insurance Coverage
- Georgia Trial Courts
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Georgia State University, B.A., Biology
- Pichiule P, JC Chavez, K Xu, S Daugherty, and JC LaManna: VEGF upregulation in global ischemia induced by cardiac attest and resuscitation in rat brain. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 24:1951(1998).
- Daugherty S, K Xu, and JC LaManna: An immunohistochemical study of VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) and GFAP (glial fibrillary acidic protein) following global cerebral ischemia in a rat model. FASEB J. 13:LB33 (Addendum), (1999).
- LaManna JC, JR Kaisenman-Abramo K Xu, S Daugherty, JC Chilvez, and P Pichiule: Acute and delayed effects of transient global ischemia on rat brain capillary endothelial cells in vivo. In: “Ischemic Blood Flow in the Brain, “Fukuuchi Y, M Tomita, and A Koto (eds.), Keio University Press, Tokyo.
- Greene, Jamie L.; Daugherty, Shaun M.; Stanley, Robert C.: Intellectual Property Law: What it is and How it is Valued. Fiduciary Law Institute, Program Materials, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, July 19- 1, 2001.
- Greene, Jamie L.; Daugherty, Shaun M.: The Licensing of Patents and Patented Technology, Understanding the Intellectual Property License 2003, Program Materials, Practicing Law Institute, January 16-17, 2003.
- Trademark Law and Unfair Competition – John Marshall School of Law, Atlanta, GA
- Invited speaker to Savannah Dental Society
- Invited speaker to Gwinnett Dental Study Cub
- Invited speaker to Hinman Dental Society
- Member, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (GDLA)
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)