Seth F. Kirby
Direct Dial: 770.818.1410
Seth F. Kirby is a Partner in Freeman Mathis & Gary’s Atlanta office. Mr. Kirby practices in the firm’s Business Liability and Insurance Law Group and specializes in professional liability defense and insurance coverage litigation. As a well-rounded litigator with previous experience in product liability defense and commercial litigation, he also practices in the firm’s Commercial and Complex Litigation Group. He has extensive experience in representing attorneys and insurance professionals against allegations of professional negligence and is a frequent speaker and author on topics including malpractice prevention. Mr. Kirby is also well versed in insurance coverage analysis and litigation. Throughout his career he has represented numerous insurance carriers in complex coverage litigation concerning a variety of standard and manuscript insurance policies. His insurance related experience includes counseling insurance carriers in the initial stages of a claim to develop an appropriate response, representing carriers in declaratory judgment actions to resolve coverage issues, and defending carriers against allegations of bad faith.
Mr. Kirby received his B.A. from the University of Georgia, cum laude, in 1996 and his J.D. from Georgia State University College of Law, cum laude, in 2001. He served as circulation editor for the Georgia State University Law Review.
Mr. Kirby is a member of the Georgia Bar and was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Rising Star list in 2010 and 2014. He is an active member of Georgia’s Tort & Insurance Practice Section, The Defense Research Institute’s Insurance Coverage and Professional Liability Sections, and the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Insurance Coverage
- Professional Liability
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Georgia, B.A., cum laude
- "Writing a Reservation of Rights: A 50-State Compendium," Southeast Co-Editor, DRI (2013)
- "Professional Liability Insurance Coverage: A Compendium of State Law," Georgia Chapter, DRI (2012)
- "The 'Stigma' of Repair – Georgia Supreme Court Requires Consideration Of Diminution In Value For All Property Damage Claims," FMG LawLine, (August 2012)
- “Unintended Consequences of Tort Reform – A Hidden Danger,” FMG LawLine (May 2011)
- New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Vol. 1, Ch.6 “Choice of Law” LexisNexis (2009)
- “Challenging Postjudgment Garnishment Actions Against Insurers” (pts. 1 & 2), INS. COVERAGE L. BULL. (Sept. 2008) at 1, INS. COVERAGE L. BULL. (Oct. 2008) at 1.
- “Can an Insurer Use Counsel to Protect Investigative Material?” Mealey’s Bad Faith Litigation Conference Workbook (September 26-27 2005)
- "Additional Insured & Contractual Indemnity," Vicarious Liability: Emerging Defense and Coverage Issues in Georgia and Florida Seminar (2017)
- "Vicarious Liability: Emerging Defense and Coverage Issues in Georgia and Florida" (2017)
- "The Role of Ethics in Legal Malpractice Claims," DRI Webcast (2013)
- "The Ethical Dilemmas Faced by Insurance Defense Counsel," Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Insurance Law Institute (2013)
- “Professional Liability Defense – Ethics,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Insurance Law Institute (2012)
- “Legal Malpractice Today," Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Professionalism Ethics & Malpractice
(2008, 2009, & 2010)
- “Unique Risks for the Start-Up Company Lawyer,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Start-Ups and Early Stage Companies (2010)
- “How to Avoid Legal Malpractice,” State Bar of Georgia Beginning Lawyers Program (2009 & 2010)
- “Technology as a Prevention Tool, Not a Malpractice Cause,” State Bar of Georgia Annual Meeting (2009)
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance Member
- Defense Research Institute Member
- McKenna Long & Aldridge, LLP, Atlanta, Georgia, 2003-2010
- Arnall Golden Gregory, LLP, Atlanta, Georgia, 2000-2003
- Georgia Super Lawyers 2014