Dana K. Maine
Direct Dial: 770.818.1408
Dana K. Maine is a founding attorney of FMG and is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee. Her practice focuses on professional liability defense and governmental litigation.
Ms. Maine heads the firm's Lawyer's (LPL) and Miscellaneous Professional Liability (MPL) practice groups. She has defended attorneys, insurance agents, real estate agents, teachers, corporate officers, and other professionals. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN), which is a national association of select law firms with significant professional liability practices. She also serves on the leadership committee for the Professional Liability Committee within the Defense Research Institute.
Ms. Maine also is a former Chair of the Governmental Law Committee for the Defense Research Institute and is recognized as a leading national authority on land use and zoning, law enforcement, and civil rights litigation. She has tried all types of local government lawsuits and has argued a number of significant Section 1983 and constitutional appellate matters before the Georgia Supreme Court and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
A graduate of Agnes Scott College (B.A.), Ms. Maine received her law degree from Emory University (J.D.), where she was a member of the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal. She has spoken throughout the country on professional liability issues and governmental law. Ms. Maine is a graduate of the Atlanta Regional Commissioner's Leadership Institute, and she also is active in a number of other civic and professional organizations in metropolitan Atlanta.
|Click on any of the links below to expand information.
- Civil Rights
- Land Use & Zoning
- Constitutional Law
- Business Litigation
- Legal Malpractice
- Directors & Officers
- Real Estate Professionals
- Insurance Professionals
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor
Emory Bankruptcy Development Journal, Member
- Agnes Scott College, B.A. International Relations
- Starship v. Coweta County, 708 F.3d 1243 (2013) United States Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Covenant Christian Ministries v. City of Marietta, 654 F.3d 1231 (2011) United States Court of Appeals 11th Cir.
- NTY, L.L.C. v. City of Gainesville, GA, 2008 WL 3853412 (2008) Northern District of Georgia
- Griffin Industries, Inc. v. Tommy Irvin, et al, 496 F.3d 1189 (2007) United States Court of Appeals 11th Cir.
- Granite State Outdoor Advertising, Inc. v. Cobb County, GA, 193 Fed. Appx. 900 2006 WL 2373528 (2006) United States Court of Appeals 11th Cir.
- Daley, et al v. Clark, et al, 282 Ga. App. 235 (2006) Court of Appeals Georgia
- Purcell, et al v. Toombs County, GA, et al, 400 F.3d 1313 (2005) United States Court of Appeals 11th Cir.
- Buckner v. Douglas County, GA, et al, 273 Ga. App. 765 (2005) Court of Appeals Georgia
- Mid-Georgia Environmental Management Group, LLP v. Meriwether County, GA, et al, 277 Ga. 670 (2004) Supreme Court of Georgia
- Union County, et al v. CGO, Inc., et al, 277 Ga. 349, 589 S.E.2d 240 (2003) Supreme Court of Georgia
- Lathem Realty v. Cherokee County, GA, 1:01-CV-02451 (2003) Northern District of Georgia
- Meeks v. City of Buford, GA, 275 Ga. 585, 571 S.E.2d 369 (2002) Supreme Court of Georgia
- "Appealing A Zoning Decision," National Business Institute's Practical Guide to Zoning and Land Use Law Seminar, Atlanta, GA, November 2016
- "What's Your Duty?"--Update on LPL and MPL Developments. Professional Liability Attorny Network, Atlanta, GA
- Lawyers Malpractice Claims- Trial Strategies and Evidentiary Issues, Chicago, IL
- Keeping Damages Down-- How to Evaluate Potential Large Claims and Reduce Exposure, New York, NY
- "First Amendment and Sign Ordinance Litigation," Civil Rights and Governmental Tort Liability Seminar, DRI
- “Section 1983 Claims Challenging Business Regulation,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia
- Practical Guide to Zoning and Land Use Law, National Business Institute
- "Liability for Surface Water Runoff From New Development" and "Land Use Law," Georgia Civil Engineering and Surveying Land Law Seminar.com
- "Constitutional Limitations on Zoning Actions", National Business Institute’s Practice Guide to Zoning and Land Use Seminar
- "Acquisition and Abandonment of Public Roads", Institute for City and County Attorneys
- "Land Use Law", Georgia Land Law for Civil Engineers and Planned Surveyors
- "The Development Approval Process", Land Use Law and Practices
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Former Chair Governmental Liability Committee, Professional Liability Committee (Steering Committee Member)
- Commercial Litigation Committee
- Appellate Advocacy Committee
- Women in the Law Committee
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
- DeKalb County Attorney's Office, Assistant County Attorney
- Best Lawyers in America, "Women In The Law", 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2010-2016
- Best Lawyers in America's, 2014
- Best Lawyers in America's, "Lawyer of the Year" for Municipal Law, 2013
- Atlanta Magazine's Top Attorneys in Georgia, 2010-2012