Melissa A. Santalone is an attorney in the Tampa office of Freeman Mathis & Gary, where she is currently a member of the Labor and Employment Law, Professional Liability, CGL and Business Liability, and Data Security, Privacy & Cyber Liability practice groups.
As a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law group, Ms. Santalone represents employers in various labor and employment law matters, including state and federal discrimination and retaliation, whistleblower, wrongful termination, and wage and hour claims. Ms. Santalone also represents professionals in professional negligence litigation, as well as litigants in community association disputes. She is experienced in representing businesses in diverse types of general liability matters including premises liability and auto negligence actions. With the firm’s Data Security, Privacy & Cyber Liability practice group, Ms. Santalone advises and represents businesses in a variety of matters relating to data security and privacy laws, including data breach response and notification compliance involving all manner of information ranging from social security numbers to healthcare information to credit card data.
Prior to coming to FMG, Ms. Santalone was an associate at a small Tampa civil litigation defense firm where she handled medical and dental malpractice, products liability, employment, auto and trucking accident, and commercial litigation. She also litigated medical, dental, and podiatric malpractice cases, as well as general liability matters, including premises liability and negligent security matters, at a midsize firm in New York. Prior to that, she handled medical malpractice actions at a small defense firm in New Jersey. Ms. Santalone was also a Law Clerk for the Hon. Mark A. Baber, JSC, in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Civil Part.
Ms. Santalone is admitted to practice law in Florida, New York, and New Jersey. She got her law degree from Seton Hall University School of Law in Newark, New Jersey, where she participated in the Pro Bono Service Program. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York.
- Labor and Employment Law
- CGL and Business Liability
- Professional Liability and Insurance Coverage
- Data Security, Privacy & Cyber Liability
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- New York
- New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Rochester, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers
- Prior to joining FMG, Ms. Santalone was an associate at a small Tampa civil litigation defense firm, a midsize New York insurance defense firm, and a small New Jersey medical malpractice defense firm.
- Ms. Santalone also served as Law Clerk to Hon. Mark A. Baber, JSC, in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Civil Part.